St Mary's Church, Swerford
St Mary's Church dominates Church End, the name of one end of the village.
The church was built around 1200, with the tower added a century later. An additional aisle was added in the 1840's to cope with the population growth. opposite the church is the Rectory, dating from the beginning of the 17th Century, and home to rectors of the parish until it was amalgamated with Hook Norton in 1964.
The church roof and steeple has required significant repair over the past 30 years, and now has a gleaming cockerill on top.
The interior is simple.
Information from research:
Disbursements for the restoration and enlargement of Swerford Church in 1846/7
(of interest as John Powell built Blue Row & lived next door)
May 29 1846 £50 to John Powell
June 19 1846 £50 to John Powell
Sept 28 1846 £50 to John Powell
Oct 29 1846 £50 to John Powell
Jan 25 1847 £30 to John Powell
Plus £250 (mortgage)
Nov 15 1867 £45 Forster & Andrews Organ
Subscriptions in 1846/1850
Magdelen Cottage £100
Mortgage on Parish rate £250
The Walley Estate £25
Samuel Davis £32
From Parish Rate £50