Blue Row was named for its original roof of blue slates, replaced with tiles in the 20th century.  The row of originally 4 cottages was built in 1806 right next to the Church and the Norman Motte and Bailey.  It was traditional in the Georgian period in rural Britain for building labourers to bury a coin for good luck, and, indeed, a George III halfpenny dated 1806 was found under a window seat during renovations. (A medal commemorating the Golden Jubilee of Queen Victoria in 1887 was also found between the  floorboards.)

John Powell, the mason, who built Blue Row, and did much of the local restoration, may have owned the plot of land in 1802, and is buried in
the churchyard. 

 

FOR MORE DETAILED INFORMATION PLEASE SEE

Bluerow History Website